Well, I'm not sure where to begin with this entry. We had another appointment with Dr. Reid on Friday and once again there was bad news. The baby has been moving around a lot and so I really had high hopes that perhaps there would be positive news at this meeting. Now it is not just the abdomen that is too small but the chest area is also too small which is causing the lungs to be really small and not developing properly. This means that the baby will have an extremely difficult time catching a breath when it is born if it will even be able to at all. The scoliosis is also pretty bad which means that the lower spine is very curved. Dr. Reid showed us a picture of how this will probably look in one of his medical books and I found it to be very disturbing. This scoliosis may be causing some nerve damage to the lower body that will not be known until it is born. This baby's chance of survival is not very good at all.
We also talked to Shawna. I believe she is the head of the NICU and she told us all of the hurdles that this baby will have to overcome to even get to the point of having surgery. She said that she doesn't think this baby is capable of overcoming even the first one, which is taking a breath. This baby will likely live for a few minutes or a few hours. She said that if this baby does make it through this hurdle there is still the stabalization hurdle which will take a few days and will be extremely difficult and then surgery would happen. There are many hurdles after surgery such as infections.
I asked Shawna if there as ever been a case like this at HSC and she said that she could think of two ever. One baby survived and one did not. She said that it is impossible to give a a survival rating because each case and each baby is different. She kept telling us that she was very concerned about this baby and that things didn't look good.
Nathan and I have some decisions to make in the next few weeks that we need your prayers for. One is that we have been given the option to deliver at Boundary Trails Hospital where our baby will be put on comfort support when it is born until it passes away and the other option is to deliver at HSC and have the baby taken away immediately to try to save it. The benefit to having this baby at Boundary Trails would be that we would be able to be with it as it passes away whereas at HSC we may never get to see it alive. We really don't know what to decide about this. And another decision we will have to make is that if I deliver at HSC will it be at the Women's Hospital or at the Children's Hospital. The Women's Hospital is more ideal for myself in case there are any complications, but the Children's Hospital is more convenient for the baby because it will be close to where it will be staying to keep alive.
The combination of all of these problems has a name called Body Stalk Anomaly. It is not a genetic condition.
I will be having an MRI in the next few weeks in Winnipeg so that the doctors can have a better look at the size of everything on the baby. I'm not sure of the date yet, but I will update as soon as I find out anything else. I will also have another appointment in Winnipeg on October 5th and I will then meet with Dr. Wiseman who will be my pediatric surgeon. I have heard good things about him. I will also get a tour of the delivery area and the NICU then.
During my ultrasound we were able to see the baby trying to breath on its own which is a good thing because this is what babies are supposed to be doing at this stage. It also kicked the paddle a few times as the ultrasound was being done which made me smile. It is such a sweet little thing with a very hard life ahead of it, if there is one at all.